Recognizing Sarasota County Veterans' Services
Florida is home to more than 1.5 million veterans – one of the highest in the country. Nearly 52 percent are over the age of 65. While November 11 is designated to honor veterans, Sarasota County is committed to supporting veterans every day through Sarasota County Veterans’ Services.
Did you know that Sarasota County has Veterans’ Service Offices located in Sarasota, Venice, and North Port? Sarasota County Veteran Service Officers (VSOs) are trained and accredited by the Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs. They are exceptionally well versed in all applicable federal and state laws to provide veterans and claimants the best possible outcome. These services are provided to veterans and their families AT NO COST.
Sarasota County VSOs can assist in obtaining health care from local VA Medical Centers, accessing survivor benefits, compensation for a service-connected disability, along with other benefits specific to Florida veterans which may include property tax exemptions, special motor vehicle license plates, reduced hunting and fishing fees, veteran nursing homes, and veteran employment services.
Events for November 2019:
- 11/6/19 Sarasota County Veterans’ Services will be at the South County Health Fair to be held at the Larry Thoennissen Athletic Fields at George Mullen Activity Center. 1602 Kramer Way North Port, FL 34286 (8:30 am-3:30 pm)
- 11/8/19 South County Veterans Day will be held at North Port City Hall. 4970 City Hall Blvd. North Port, FL 34286 (2:30 pm)
- 11/9/19 Veterans Block Party will be held in celebration of the military nonprofits of Sarasota. Great food and fun for the family. No cost to attend. Cityside Apartments 700 Cocoanut Ave. Sarasota, FL 34236. (4:00 pm-9:00 pm)
- 11/11/19 Veterans Day Observances:
Veterans Memorial Ceremony at Patriots Park 800 Venetia Bay Blvd. Venice, FL 34285 (10:00 am)
Veterans Day Parade starting on Main Street in Sarasota and ending with a ceremony at J. D. Hamel Park at 199 Bayfront Dr. Sarasota, FL 34236 (parade starts at 10:00 am)
Veterans Memorial Ceremony to be held at 10 Harbor Lane Englewood, FL 34223 (11:00 am)
- 11/14/19 Veterans Benefits Seminar to be held at Venice Green Village 2745 E. Venice Ave. Venice, FL 34292 (2:00 pm-3:00 pm)
- 11/19/19 Mission United Meeting to be held at United Way 1800 2nd Street, Suite 102 Sarasota, FL 34236 (8:45-10:30 am)
- 11/26/19 Veterans Benefits Briefing to be held at the Sarasota Vet Center 4801 Swift Road Sarasota, FL 34231 (10 am-2:00 pm)
- TAGS: External Stakeholders, Outputs to Outcomes
- CATEGORIES: Community Support and Health Services, Civic Participation and Employment