Join the Village Movement!
During January and February, the Sarasota Village invited representatives of area organizations providing services for older adults to participate in community conversations. These conversations were about the creation of a Village in downtown Sarasota. Attendees discussed the Villages concept and early strides to be among the existing 250 Villages across the nation.
Villages are grass-roots organizations designed to enhance the quality of life and well-being of our community members striving to live vibrant and purposeful lives while aging in place. They create opportunities for participation in an intergenerational community of neighbors helping neighbors. Villages create and deepen communication and connections among community members and organizations.
The meetings in January and February shared the three (3) major tasks ahead for the Sarasota Village:
- Develop infrastructure, including a Community Connections Team, build a website and electronic back office, and establish policies, programs, procedures.
- Create strategic relationships with existing nonprofits and businesses in the community.
- Invite and attract volunteers and potential members.
During our conversations, participants shared their aspirations and interests. It was exciting to hear the enthusiasm of individuals who want to further strengthen services for older adults. Some remarked that the intentions to create partnerships in the community was important. Others expressed interest in having a Village in their community, beyond the Sarasota Village area.
Our community conversations resulted in numerous people expressing interest in exploring the possibility of becoming involved in the Community Connections Team. This team is for people interested in partnering, developing strategic alliances, sharing services, ideas and opportunities, and for folks who would like to volunteer or contribute to the success of this grass-roots organization that's reinventing aging and reimagining what's next in this region.
Below is a short video created by the Village Movement California, a group of over 40 membership-organizations:
Questions? Contact Deborah Gauvreau at dGauvreau@thepattersonfoundation.org.
- TAGS: External Stakeholders, Issues to Aspirations, Outputs to Outcomes
- CATEGORIES: Age-Friendly Movement, Social Participation, Respect and Social Inclusion, Community Support and Health Services, Communication and Information